Skip to content

Learner story archives

May 13, 2002

The following story was written by Murray Morris, from Sydney, Nova Scotia. Murray has lived in Sydney, Nova Scotia all his life. Murray is the proud driver of a Ford. He is also proud of the fact that he always manages to make it to class. Murray's classmates at the Cape Breton Literacy Network's Sydney day class like the fact that Murray makes them laugh with jokes and puns. Murray is a good storyteller with a good sense of humour. He is known for helping out at the Brain Injury Society and as a regular blood donor. Murray likes to write, and especially likes working on the computer, where he has managed to greatly improve his typing speed this year.

My Favorite Trip

by Murray Morris

On the afternoon of August 25, 1985, my Uncle Murray Ross and I left East Bay at 4 p.m. We left the bungalow, started across the sandbar and we had to turn back because we forgot the utility trailer to drop off to his buddy in Stellarton, Nova Scotia. Then we continued on to our destination once we got to Stellarton with the trailer. We arrived in St. Stephen, New Brunswick at one o'clock in the morning. It was hard to find a room because the summer games were going on there. Finally, we got a room for forty dollars where we could bunk down for the night. We got up at 6 a.m. and we were on the road for our long journey.

We stopped for breakfast on the other side of the border, in Maine. We drove all day and night. As we were driving through Buffalo, New York, we stopped and asked a man how to get to the Peace Bridge that took us back into Canada. When the man was giving us directions, Uncle Murray asked how were the people in that section of town because we had to drive through "The Bronx". This is the section of town where the crime rate is very high. It's about two o'clock in the morning and as we were driving through that part of town, my Uncle said to me, "Wouldn't this be a good time to have a flat tire"? When he said that I got so nervous and scared that I locked all the doors of the truck. We were driving a 1984 Jimmy. When we go to the Canadian border, I had to show the border guard my birth certificate and I was so nervous that I couldn't pronounce my name.

As we were driving toward Windsor, Ontario in the early hours of August 26 Murray asked me if we should get a hotel room or keep driving. I said keep driving. He said "If I don't stop and rest my eyes, my G.D. Eyeballs will be on the dash". As we were driving through St. Thomas, Ontario we hit a violent thunder and lightning storm. By this time, it was about 4:30 in the morning of August 26. We pulled off to the side of the road and rested for at least one half hour. We arrived in Windsor at 6 a.m. we stopped at a 24 hour Green Gables convenience store to get some bread and milk.

When we finally arrived at Uncle Murray's house in Windsor, Ontario at 6:30 in the morning we were so tired that we went to bed. When we got up at noon his wife, Judy and the two kids flew in from Sydney, Cape Breton. During my stay in Windsor, I did many enjoyable things such as going to the zoo with my Aunt Judy and the two kids, Ian and Katherine, going to my uncle's newly opened ice cream parlor and many other things. The day after we arrived, it was my eighteenth birthday. My Aunt and Uncle had a small party for me.

Around the first week in September, Murray and I made my plane reservations to come home. My Uncle Murray drove me to the Windsor Airport to get my 2 p.m. flight to Sydney. It was my first time flying by myself. When I took off from the Windsor Airport, my first stop was Toronto. I was in this airport for about four hours. While I was there, Delores Sampson, who was my baby-sitter from years ago came to the airport to see me. When she got to the airport I was pre-boarding the airplane for Halifax. The security guards were kind enough to let her come on the plane to see me. She and I talked for about fifteen minutes before the flight attendant asked her to get off the plane as we were going to Halifax.

I had about an hour stop in Halifax and then it was onto my final stop in Sydney, where my parents were waiting for me. When my uncle took me to the airport in Windsor, the temperature was one hundred degrees and when I arrived in Sydney, the temperature was around five degrees. This was really a trip of a lifetime for me, anyway, it gave me a chance to get to know my uncle better and to spend some time together with him.

[This story was taken with permission, from Our Side of the Mountain, a collection of writings by adult learners at the Cape Breton Literacy Network.]

© 2015 Copian