Skip to content

Learner story archives

April 10, 2000

This story comes to us from Nova Scotia. The author, Connie Beals, was born in Halifax, NS. She has been a personal care worker for 17 years. This is the first story she wrote upon joining the Dartmouth Literacy Network.

The Day Diana Died

by Connie Beals

August 31st, 1997 was a beautiful sunny Saturday, a perfect day for a wedding. My nephew was getting married at 4 o'clock.

My sister and her daughter flew in a week earlier from Ontario for the wedding. They were staying at my place and we had a fun week.

The church wedding, dinner and reception were beautiful. I had not laughed and danced so much in years. But the evening had to come to an end. At 3:00am Sunday morning we all came back to my place, my boyfriend, my sister and niece and myself. My niece was going through the fridge as we were all starving and still feeling a bit festive from the reception.

My sister and I were changing into something a little more comfortable. Out of habit I turned on the TV while changing my clothes. There was a movie on but below the screen there was a bulletin. It read that it was confirmed that the Princess of Wales, Diana had been killed in a car wreck.

I stood there reading it over and over at least five to seven times before it sank in. But I didn't believe it. I screamed out "Lord it can't be true. Please Lord." My boyfriend and family came running. I yelled at the top of my lungs "The Princess Di is dead!"

We were all screaming and yelling and I changed the TV to channel 35, CNN. There was a news bulletin showing the wrecked car. We stood there in the bedroom, so quiet. My whole body was weak. I felt faint and flopped down on the bed.

It seemed we all started crying at the same time. I think we all stood there crying for about 5 to 10 seconds. Then we all started to talk at once.

We were no longer hungry. I felt like I had lost a family member. My heart was hurting.

I just had to call my other sister in Ontario to see if she had heard the sad news. She hadn't heard the news. When I told her, she couldn't believe it. We both started crying. We finally said I love you and hung up.

By now the sun was peeping through the clouds. My boyfriend, my sister, niece and I just sat around the kitchen table drinking coffee or tea and talking for hours. We never did make it to bed. Another day began.

It was a beautiful Sunday morning. By 9:00am we had all decided that church was the best place to be.

© 2015 Copian